SoftBank Corp. (TOKYO: 9434, “SoftBank”) announced that for the first time it was selected as a component of the Dow Jones Sustainability Asia/Pacific Index (“DJSI Asia/Pacific Index”) on November 12, 2021 (EST). The DJSI Asia/Pacific Index is part of the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (“DJSI”), one of the most prestigious global indices for Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance (ESG) investing.
The DJSI are leading indices of ESG investments jointly developed by S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC in the United States and RobecoSAM AG in Switzerland. Offered since 1999, the DJSI select leading sustainable companies for inclusion by comprehensively analyzing the economic, environmental and social performances of listed companies around the world.
As part of the DJSI’s annual review, 153 companies (77 of them Japan-based) out of 609 major companies based in the Asia-Pacific developed region were selected for inclusion in the DJSI Asia/Pacific Index of 2021.
SoftBank scored 79/100 overall in the 2021 S&P Global Corporate Sustainability Assessment, achieving full scores in Materiality, Tax Strategy and Policy Influence out of 24 total criteria. SoftBank also scored 92/100 in Climate Strategy.
Based on the concept of “a world where all things, information and minds are connected,” SoftBank has identified six priority issues (materiality, or key challenges). By promoting its businesses in the information and technology domain, SoftBank aims to solve problems people and society are facing, and thereby enhance its corporate value. Furthermore, in May 2021, to realize a sustainable world and take responsibility as a corporate citizen, SoftBank announced its “Carbon Neutral 2030” declaration, a pledge that aims to reduce the amount of greenhouse gas emissions from electricity and other sources used in its business activities to virtually zero by 2030 as the international community aims to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that mitigate climate change.
In addition to the DJSI Asia/Pacific Index inclusion, in January 2021 SoftBank was selected by FTSE Russell—a wholly-owned subsidiary of the London Stock Exchange Group—as a component for its FTSE4Good Index Series, a world-leading environmental, social and governance (ESG) index, and the FTSE Blossom Japan Index, an ESG index focused on Japan-based companies. In February 2021, SoftBank was also selected by MSCI as a constituent for the MSCI Japan ESG Select Leaders Index.
FTSE Blossom Japan Index and MSCI Japan ESG Select Leaders Index have been adopted by Japan’s Government Pension Investment Fund (GPIF), the world’s largest public pension fund, as benchmarks for passive ESG investing.
- The Dow Jones Sustainability Indices name and the Member Logo are trademarks or service marks of S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC.
- FTSE Russell is a registered trademark of FTSE International Limited and the Frank Russell Company.
- THE INCLUSION OF SOFTBANK CORP. IN ANY MSCI INDEX, AND THE USE OF MSCI LOGOS, TRADEMARKS, SERVICE MARKS OR INDEX NAMES HEREIN, DO NOT CONSTITUTE A SPONSORSHIP, ENDORSEMENT OR PROMOTION OF SOFTBANK CORP. BY MSCI OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES.
- THE MSCI INDEXES ARE THE EXCLUSIVE PROPERTY OF MSCI.
- MSCI AND THE MSCI INDEX NAMES AND LOGOS ARE TRADEMARKS OR SERVICE MARKS OF MSCI OR ITS AFFILIATES.
- Standard & Poor’s and S&P are registered trademarks of Standard & Poor’s Financial Services LLC.
- SoftBank, the SoftBank name and logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of SoftBank Group Corp. in Japan and other countries.
- Other company, product and service names in this press release are registered trademarks or trademarks of the respective companies.